Giving to the KU Slavic Department
Dear Alumni and Friends,
Even as we demand more and more of Higher Education, state funding for it continues to decline. Although we are accustomed to doing more with less, we can surely do more with more!
You can help us keep the many activities we undertake remain robust by donating to our Endowment funds. As you can see from our listing of donors past and present, the Slavic Department is generously supported by our alumni, friends in the community, and even current and retired faculty members. We are ever grateful for their contributions to our mission.
As our drive to expand academic and research opportunities for our students never diminishes, our ability to deliver relies on such continued support.
There are four major ways to contribute to the KU Slavic Department:
The Slavic Department's General Endowment Fund
- Helps awarding book and small cash prizes for excellent student academic performances
- Allows us to invite prominent scholars to the department guest lecturers
- Allows us to recruit talented graduate students
- Finances maintenance and acquisition of reference materials for the Parker Slavic Library
- Supplements student travel to academic meetings
- To donate to the General Endowment Fund, please click here
The Slavic Department's Joseph L. Conrad Memorial Award
- Supports students who excel in the Slavic language field
- Allows them to further their education by studying Slavic languages and culture abroad
- Helps fund students' presentations of their scholarly work at conferences around the world
- To donate to the Joseph L. Conrad Memorial Award, please click here
- Aimed to support the department's vision to expand its teachings in the Slavic language
- Supports the hire of a part-time Czech language lecturer
- To donate to the Czech Opportunity Fund, please click here
- Provides scholarships to academically talented and career-oriented students
- Supports Students who study the Russian language and plan on participating the Department of Slavic Languages & Literature's summer program in Almaty, Kazakhstan
- To donate to the Gabriel Al-Salem Foundation, please click here and select the appropriate fund from the drop-down menu (you will be re-directed to a non-KU website)
Our longtime goal is to establish student scholarships and fellowships that will encourage the best and brightest students to take advantage of the educational opportunities available in the Slavic Department at the University of Kansas. We actively seek donors who share these goals and can are eager to contribute to our programs.
While we seek substantial gifts that can generate enough funds each year to meet tuition costs and provide stipends, we are equally grateful for any and all donations to the Slavic Department's Endowment funds. We are also open to the creation of new funds if your desire for giving leads in a different direction or you wish to honor a special designee.
No matter what, the donations you make are always put towards the goal of making the student experience in Slavic studies useful, meaningful, and effective. Please help us make the Slavic Department's excellence continue into the future.