These courses do not count towards the Polish major, but they are prerequisites for further course work in the Polish Studies Emphasis. Students entering KU with previous knowledge of Polish should contact Professor Svetlana Vassileva-Karagyozova, firstname.lastname@example.org for placement.
- PLSH 104-108 - Elementary Polish I-II (or equivalent) —10 Credits
- PLSH 204 - Intermediate Polish I — 3 Credits
Total — 13 Credits
The minimum course hours requirement for the Polish major is 30. Prospective Polish majors have to fulfill the core requirements and select additional 12 course hours from the list of electives. Students should consult with the Undergraduate Studies major advisor in selecting elective courses. The Department recommends a maximum of two courses in Polish history.
- PLSH 208 - Intermediate Polish II — 3 Credits
- PLSH 504-508 - Advanced Polish I-II — 3 Credits
- PLSH 675 - Readings in Polish Language and Literature — 3 Credits
- SLAV 506 - Masterworks of Polish and Czech Literature — 3 Credits
- SLAV 495 - Senior Capstone Seminar — 3 Credits
Total — 15 Credits
Choose 4 courses from the list below:
- SLAV 144/145 Survey of Russian Literature in Translation — 3 Credits
- SLAV 318 Jews and Slavs in Eastern Europe — 3 Credits
- SLAV 340/341 Introduction to the Languages and Peoples of Russia and East-Central Europe — 3 Credits
- SLAV 504 Introduction to East-Central European Culture and Society — 3 Credits
- SLAV 514 Totalitarianism and Literature in Central Europe — 3 Credits
- SLAV 516 Film Adaptations of Polish and Czech Literary Works — 3 Credits
- SLAV 635 Language, Culture, and Ethnicity in Prehistoric Eastern Europe — 3 Credits
- HIST 377 Everyday Communism in Eastern Europe — 3 Credits
- HIST 577 Nationalism and Communism in East Central Europe from 1772 to the Present — 3 Credits
- PHIL 580 Marxism (or other relevant course in philosophy) — 3 Credits
Total — 12 Credits
For more details on the Polish major (and other Slavic major) requirements, please consult the KU course catalog.
Please contact our undergraduate major advisor with any questions you may have.